Thursday, March 26, 2009

So yeah, its 2:30 in the morning and I'm sitting here making a blog instead of going to sleep.
"Why?" You ask?
In actuality you're probably wondering why its this that Im doing instead of a variety of other interesting, important, or responsible things. For instance, I could be watching more episodes of Arrested Development, searching for new webcomics, or possibly even doing something that doesn't make me into a giant geek. Or I could be working on sketches or research for my degree project (what my school calls a thesis). Or I could even just be getting a reasonable amount of sleep so that tomorrow when I go to the Museum of Science with my boyfriend, I'm not a crabby sleep-deprived mess.

... "Why?" You ask?
1) I, like many of my art school cohorts, am a bit of an insomniac.
2) I really need to get my good work out into the world in a way that is not deviant art.
3) I enjoy typing.

So there it is.

Recently, I've been making myself feel a little down just in the slump that is the closing of my junior year at college. It's getting to the point where I'm ready for break: the assignments are a bit stagnant because its not yet time to stress about finals, yet everyone I know is stressed out anyway due to the realization that we are all dangerously close to being real people (i.e. graduating and going out into the world to be shredded to pieces by people saying "What? We can't afford to pay you for making the world pretty. The economy is WAY too shitty for you to be successful as an artist." This particular day dream is usually followed by this person laughing me directly out of their office).
In all honesty, I'm excited to get out of school and work. Being a student is alright for another year, making minimum wage at an art supply store and getting beers with my friends on monday nights is fun for now, but I really look forward to the point when (hopefully) doing what I enjoy can manage to pay my bills.
I suppose that if I could have one wish, it would be to reach the point where life is stable and predictable as soon as possible. That I get out of college, become a teacher, get a little cruddy house in Natick or something and get some bunnies, then kitties, and maybe a husband and some kids down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment